IN THIS COURSE, we’re going to learn how to create and answer YES/NO questions in ASL using personal pronouns and personality vocabulary. We’ll learn to make positive and negative sentences so we have multiple answers to the YES/NO questions. The vocabulary for this course consists of ASL personal pronouns, twelve (12) adjectives that describe personality, and the signs for YES, NO, MAYBE, NOT. There will be hands-on practice and testing to make sure you can sign and understand what is taught.
*** This course is designed to INCLUDE complete beginners without any prior knowledge of ASL. Previous ASL skills are welcome but NOT required.
IN THIS COURSE:
- Students will learn how to sign the following personality adjectives: ARROGANT, FRIENDLY, GULLIBLE, HONEST, LAZY, MEAN, NICE, POLITE, RUDE, SMART, STUBBORN, and STUPID
- Students will learn how to sign the personal pronouns: I/ME, YOU, HE/SHE/IT, WE/US, THEY/THEM, and YOU (plural)
- Students will learn the ASL signs for YES, NO, MAYBE, and NOT
- Students will learn to create and answer YES/NO questions in ASL with appropriate body language and facial expressions
- Students will learn how to combine the personal pronouns, adjectives, and YES/NO/NOT signs to create three types of sentences: positive statements, negative statements, and questions
- Each individual sign will be taught step by step to ensure correct hand position and hand shape
- Students will be tested on their ability to sign and recognize ALL material taught in the course including questions and statements
AFTER TAKING THIS COURSE:
- Students will be confident creating personality questions and answers in ASL
- Students will be able to create sentences using personal pronouns, personality words, and YES/NO/NOT
- Students will have a larger vocabulary and understand the mechanics of each sign taught in the course
- Students will feel more confident as they continue their journey of becoming proficient in ASL
What is the main focus of this course?
- This course focuses on learning the necessary skills to create and answer YES/NO questions in ASL using personal pronouns and personality vocabulary. Students will learn how to create positive and negative sentences and be able to answer YES/NO questions.
Do I need to have prior knowledge or experience with ASL before taking this class?
- No. This course is designed for complete beginners without any prior knowledge of ASL. All necessary signs are taught in the course including the personal pronouns, personality signs, and YES, NO, MAYBE, NOT signs.
Will this course test me on what is taught?
- Yes. This course contains multiple sections of review and testing where you have the opportunity to demonstrate your signing and recognition skills in ASL.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
- Hello! My name is Michael. When I was three years old, my younger brother became sick with spinal meningitis. In the process, my brother became deaf with an almost complete hearing loss. This difficult situation provided a unique opportunity for my family and I to become fluent in American Sign Language (ASL). Unlike some deaf children, my brother was not sent away to a deaf or hard of hearing school. He grew up with us, his hearing family, and we were active in the deaf community.
- As a police officer and federal investigator, I often used ASL to communicate with and interpret for witnesses, victims, and perpetrators. I decided to create ASL courses because it’s a useful and practical skill to have. Like learning any language, it opens your mind and creates the ability to communicate with a whole new group of people.